Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:40:43 -0500
From:      "Peter Brezny" <peter@skyrunner.net>
To:        "Vincent Jardin" <vjardin@wanadoo.fr>, "Barney Wolff" <barney@tp.databus.com>
Cc:        "Orville R. Weyrich_Jr" <orville@ameriroots.com>, <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: passive mode ftp server, need stateful ipfw rule.

I like the pragmatic solution idea,

How do you adjust the range of random tcp ports chosen if you are using the
stoc ftpd that comes with freebsd.

Of course I'd like to be able to move to sftp or scp or https, but as an isp
with web hosting, the support overhead for all the designers to learn how to
do it would be a bit overwhelming.

What about the -punch_fw option in natd?  Has anyone used that before?

from man natd:
     -punch_fw basenumber:count
                 This option directs natd to ``punch holes'' in an
                 ipfirewall(4) based firewall for FTP/IRC DCC connections.
                 This is done dynamically by installing temporary firewall
                 rules which allow a particular connection (and only that
con-
                 nection) to go through the firewall.  The rules are removed
                 once the corresponding connection terminates.

Thanks again.

Peter Brezny
Skyrunner.net