Date:      Mon, 20 Aug 2001 06:28:58 -0500
To:        "Jason Halbert" <jason@jason-n3xt.org>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Code Red

Jason,

Howdy ... Yeah I have the same thing goin on here...

Here check this out:
http://www.eeye.com/html/Research/Advisories/AL20010717.html

This worm is one mean customer for Windows machines...

Basically the way it works, is it will scan the 16 bit (depending on what
variation of the worm it is) I.P. range that you are in for open webserver
ports. It then indiscriminately attempts to propagate itself using the IIS
Indexing server exploit described in the link above.

I currently am working on ways of reducing the impact of this on my personal
server by modifications to my firewall...

I heard of someone else on this list actually creating a default.ida file so
that it would reduce the amount of data put into the web server logs... not
a bad idea...

This is really an epidemic that is effecting anyone with a webserver right
now... especially ones on commercial networks such as @home Roadrunner ...
for home users ... due to the large number of people who run Windows servers
that are not very secure or up to date...

Good Luck!

Jordan