Date:      Tue, 11 Dec 2001 11:00:10 -0600
From:      "Dustin Puryear" <dpuryear@usa.net>
To:        "Gabriel Ambuehl" <gabriel_ambuehl@buz.ch>
Cc:        <isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Re[8]: Using DNAT and DNS round-robin

> > Well, one solution to this type of problem is to use remote storage
> > such as NAS.
>
> NAS has got the big problem of being a single point of failure. But

Not necessarily. There are a few NAS HA solutions out there. I know that
NetApps has one. In fact, I doubt the whole NAS industry would get far
without it.

> > I am working with another client that uses several webservers that
> > hit a few Snap servers for all of their data. Using this method we
> > can load-balance (using LVS and Red Hat's High Availability
> > Services) to our heart's content. But you are correct that there is
> > a problem if you leave the data on the local drive of each server.
>
> I'm working on something like FVS and despite the currently non
> existent VS fail over and FS replication parts, it's working pretty
> well (save for that fact that ipnat currently doesn't provide any
> other load balancing than round robin but OTOH, the system is capable
> to skip NAT altogether and use DNS round robin or whatever else which
> isn't possible with LVS, IIRC).

I'm not familiar with FVS. What is it?

> I'm currently trying to port it to Linux (for a consulting client)
> but
> since Linux won't support bidirectional popen(), I'm somewhat stuck
> until I manage to get a custom version of it to work...

Sounds like you have a fun week ahead of you. Good luck.

Regards, Dustin

---
Dustin Puryear <dpuryear@usa.net>
Information Systems Consultant
http://members.telocity.com/~dpuryear
In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has been widely regarded as a bad move. - Douglas Adams