Date:      Fri, 23 Dec 1994 22:52:16 +0000
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@genome.Stanford.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ftp problem with other ftp servers

Hi everyone,

If anyone remembers, I wrote a few weeks about a problem that appears to
be a bug in the way ftp works in both FreeBSD 1.1.5.1 and the new 2.0R.

Well, yes I still have the problem.  FreeBSD can not work with remote
systems running ftp servers similar to WFTPD for MS Windows.  However,
Suns and Dec Alpha's don't have such a problem.

The default ftp command in FreeBSD 2.0 just hangs when I do an "ls"
whereas if I use ncftp (from the FreeBSD 2.0R distribution), I get this
error:

Unidentified command PASV
Passive mode refused.

Is anyone planning on implementing this feature which is found on other
*nix platforms?  It seems to be lacking in FreeBSD.