Date:      Sun, 23 Apr 1995 22:37:06 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Sir Ilya Tsymbal <itsymbal@husc.harvard.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org, Ilya Tsymbal <itsymbal@husc.harvard.edu>
Subject:   Re: install problem with 3c509. What to do?

On Sun, 23 Apr 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I am then prompted for all sortsa stuff, like IP, netmask, name, domain
> > name and some others.
>
> And your values for one of these is simply wrong.  That's your
> problem.  Please verify particularly that the name server and gateway
> values are correct - only your local system guru can tell you for
> sure, we certainly can't from here.
>
> 					Jordan

Hi, thanks for replying so promptly.

Well, I made sure everything I type in is correct.

And it was.
my computer's name is itsymbal.student.harvard.edu; that's what I type in for
Fully Qualified name. I know this setting is correct.
my ip is 140.247.147.81; I know this is correct for sure.
Next is the netmask; the default that comes up is 0xffffff00, the one I
have been told I have is 255.255.255.0, which is the same as 0xffffff00,
I believe. I have tried both.

Any extensions to ifconfig, put them here: I am not sure about this.
I didn't put any, just pressed Enter.

Default gateway is my IP with a 1 at the end, 140.247.147.1
NS we are told to use is 128.103.21.15, and I checked and it's up.

So, I am pretty much sure the settings are correct. Except maybe for
extra flags.

I tried using both primary and secondary us sources; I don't believe the
FTP program ever tried to connect to either.

Right after the 'fetching bin distr....' message comes up, I get a message
NcFTP: could not get your password entry (9): bad file descripror.

Why does it try to get a password entry? Isn't it anonymous FTP?
And then I get an error: <whatever site I try>: gethostbyname error
(2):hostname lookup failure.

So, that's all the clues I have.
I know the card is recognised during startup as a 3c5x9 at Ox300 and IRQ
10, which is what it is.

Please tell me what to do, I am at the end of my wits.

Ilya Tsymbal