Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 1995 23:41:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Jonathan M. Bresler" <jmb@kryten.atinc.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@freefall.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Gary Roberts <gary@wcs.uq.oz.au>, Jeffrey Hsu <hsu@freefall.cdrom.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Gating hackers into the newsgroups

On Mon, 24 Apr 1995, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I think there are probably a large number of `semi-skilled' users (like
> > myself) who love FreeBSD and have developed to the point of having no
> > real problems with basic installation and configuration, kernel
[snip]
> > should immediately reduce newbie traffic in both news and mail by
> > transferring the traffic from the public lists to private e-mail.  However,
>
> If you manage to make this go, you have my personal nomination for the
> Nobel peace prize.  That's all I'm going to say about it! :-)

Gary,
	great idea!  we can add a couple of commands to majordomo and let
it rip.

command			action
			hackers and others gets routed to you!
			what about questions (or is this just crazy?)
disown	iamlost@where.am.i	he has learned enough not to ask the
			3c509 -link2 flag question.  let him have direct
			access to the lists again.
subscribe newusers	help me please, i just got my cdrom and i cant
			get my 3c509 to work
unsubscribe newusers	hey man--back off, i know this thing, give me some
			elbow room here.

so you offer help by joining mentors, adopt newbies till you reach your
limit then unusbscribe from mentors.  release (disown) newbies when they
are ready to stand on their own more or less.   an unhappy newbie that
does not like his mentor still send to questions. and request adoption or
subscribe newusers and hope someone will pick him up.  cron each night
(week?) matches newbies and mentors, giving each mentor 1 newbie and
removing that newbie from the newusers lists.  mail is sent to both the
mentor and the newbie to introduce them to each other.

what do you think, gary?   this the kinda thing?

jmb

Jonathan M. Bresler  jmb@kryten.atinc.com	| Analysis & Technology, Inc.
						| 2341 Jeff Davis Hwy
play go.					| Arlington, VA 22202
ride bike. hack FreeBSD.--ah the good life	| 703-418-2800 x346