Date:      Sun, 18 Feb 1996 05:19:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Adam Prato <adamp@ovid.com>
To:        jkh@cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org, nirva@zynet.com
Subject:   BT946C problems. Can you help?

Hello folks,

	I have spent a few hours trying to determine exactly what the problem
is with my BT946C. The card is a revision E card with 4.25J firmware. I've
searched www.freebsd.org and could not find a solid answer. I was wondering if
you could help?

	I had a machine running 2.0.5 (off of the WC cd). It was running on an
AMI EISA with a BT747C. The keyboard port died and I had to get a new MB, which
turned out to be an AMI PCI. Thus I had to swap the EISA 747C for a PCI 946C. I
was hoping that all that was involved was throwing in the card and booting up
(well nothings ever *that* easy, so I expected to have to work). Now I cant
seem to get this machine to work. Here's what problems I've encountered and my
attempts to resolve them:

- When I try to boot the machine, the boot manager simply does *not* load. If I
use an adaptec 1542B, the boot manager loads (I dont have the adaptec drivers
compiled in my kernel so thats all this will do).

- When I try to boot off of a bootfloppy distributed with the 2.0.5 cd, the
driver recognizes the card, reports the irq,dma,io, async only, parity, 32
mbxs, 32 ccbs, whatever else. The driver sees the hard disk, and then waits for
the devices to settle down, shortly after, it comes back with a message - RAM
Parity error, likey hardware error, please reboot. This same error happens with
the 2.1.0-RELEASE boot.flp floppy (the error output is slightly different but
basically the same error).

- I've tried booting with linux boot/root floppies and they recognize the HD
fine.

- I've tried changing options on the card/drive such as [dis/en]abling parity,
disabling fast and sync negotiation, changing dma's and disabling dma, whatever
else I could try...

- I'm pretty sure its a 'driver' problem because
  o Linux recognizes the HD fine.
  o I get no problems when I run verify the HD media with the verify command in
    Auto Scsi
  o The threads that I found when I searched the archives on www.freebsd.org
    for bt946.

Now I'm not sure if the problem has been resolved, is in the process of being
resolved, if the problem is a driver issue or a hardware issue. I heard there
was a patch, but am not sure whats involved with applying it, or if it even
exists. Thus I'm asking you folks if you have any idea what I can do. If you
have some time, could you let me know where to look to get the machine rolling?

Thanks in advance for your attention and help.

Adam Prato

Adam R. Prato             connections:             "Gotta Be careful,
Network And Systems Admin adamp@ovid.com             else your karma might
Ovid Technologies Inc.    (fon) 800.950.2371 x2324    run over your dogma."
5650 South Green Street   (fax) 801.281.3697       -anon. heard through
Murray, Utah 84123        (bp.) 801.241.4542            troy through tronzo