Date:      Wed, 10 Apr 1996 11:58:52 +0100 (BST)
From:      Dave Roberts <djr@saa-cons.co.uk>
Subject:   Solaris2.5 and BSD* - Facts

/*
 * This is actually a resend, but I never saw the original on the list,
 * and it was a day when our ISP appeared to have trans-atlantic problems.
 * Sorry to anyone who's seen it already.
 */

The last thing I want to do is start an O/S flame war, I think we've had
far too many of those already.  What I am looking for are bare honest
facts.

I need to put in a bastion host to handle the proxying, DNS stuff, etc.  I
would like to put this onto a pee-cee running BSD (either FreeBSD or
BSDOS2.0).  However, someone above me in the chain of things wants me to
use a SparcServer running Solaris 2.5.  I claimed that BSD was better
suited for the purpose, and he said prove it.

AFAIK, the facts stand as follows (please corrent me if I am wrong).
BSD offers the immutable flag - Solaris does not.
BSD gives me source code - Solaris does not.
BSD allows me to compile stuff (ls etc) with static libs - Solaris does
not (if I remember a thread a while ago).

That's all I can think of.  Please don't mail back with arguments about
having source code or not, or static libraries vs dynamic, think those
have been beaten to death :)

What I would like are facts from people that have experience with both
systems, or something that people with one of those systems feel is a big
bonus, or a big headache.   I'm assuming all the tools I want compile
equally well on both systems (whatever kind of libs are used).

ObOffTopic: anyone know a tool to to base64 decoding?  Some of my users
get their mail sent to ccMail, and their gateway doesn't understand MIME.
A DOS util to do with would be great (I can't convert *everyone* to Unix
and Pine! ;)

Thanks in advance,

Dave.

--
Dave Roberts, Unix Systems Administrator, SAA Consultants Ltd, Plymouth, UK.
"smap has the advantage [over bare sendmail] that it was written by somone