Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 20:23:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, narvi@haldjas.folklore.ee, phk@critter.tfs.com, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Go SCSI! Big improvement...

On Tue, 27 Feb 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > Well, what they should've done is fix the Zorro bus in the Amiga, and
> > > then things would've been perfect.  They had AutoConfig since 1986,
> > > man...  <Amiga bitterness mode off..>  ;-)
> >
> > I gave my A2500 away last year to someone who actually had the time
> > to use it.. :-)
>
> Hope they are porting FreeBSD.

Amiga has NetBSD..  Works pretty good, too, and is binary-compatible with
the Mac version.

> BTW, Multibus and QBus had autoconfig way before 1986, FWIW.

AutoConfig was a trademark of Commodore.  The Zorro I and II buses were
basically a local bus (straight off the 68000 chip), but Zorro III was an
asynchronous bus that could adaptively negotiate clock speed and feature
set with individual cards (backwards compatible with Zorro II, but Zorro I
was very shortlived).  But come to think of it, since all of the cards
were memory-mapped, and the 680x0 has shared IRQ and DMA channels, there
was only the memory range to allocate to AutoConfig it.  Interestingly,
the OS was smart enough to boot off of hard drive controller boards by
boards and add the RAM to the free memory pool...

---Jake