Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 10:01:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Linux vs FreeBSD comparison - it's time, I think!

On Wed, 6 Mar 1996, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> So many people ask me for comparative data on the two operating
> systems that I think it's time to give them what they want.
>
> As much as we generally dislike "taking positions" like that, I think
> we're only hurting ourselves at this point by hiding our light under a
> bushel, and the Linux advocates have never pulled their own punches
> here.  It's time to blow our own trumpets a bit!  We deserve it.
>
> [snip]
>
> 					Jordan

WTG, Jordan!  You tend to be one of the most conservative of the bunch, in
terms of being "most unlike a Linux fanatic", so it's good that you're
taking a stand that we should toot our own horn once in a while or nobody
will listen.  Also, I agree we need to come up with positive testimonials
and benchmarks for FreeBSD, rather than just bashing Linux, as Linux users
tend to bash DOS/Windows.  It's the week before finals at my university,
but sometime next week, when I have time, I'd love to help on this
project!  Here are some results we should point to:

1) The Stanford comparison of Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris which showed FreeBSD
had twice the networking performance (TCP, UDP, and NFS).  Does anyone
remember the URL (it was posted here before)?  Other benchmark results,
conducting in a scientific manner (as the Stanford study was) would be
great, especially related to networking performance (where we have the
biggest advantage).

2) We should not be afraid to make a Web page comparing features of
FreeBSD and Linux.  We should give it the "test of fire" by posting the
URL to comp.os.linux.advocacy and see if anyone can find problems with it
or give advantages of Linux vs. FreeBSD which we should post as well to
make the table more objective.

3) Full description of ftp.cdrom.com as a "case study".  Also, when
people FTP to ftp.cdrom.com there should be a BIG banner, like: