Date:      Thu, 3 Sep 1998 00:15:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Matt Martini <martini@invision.net>
To:        gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG, ken@plutotech.com
Cc:        FreeBSD-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   [help needed] loading freebsd w/ adaptec aic7890

Justin, Kenneth:

How do I install FreeBSD on a machine with an Adaptec aic-7890?

I just got a new computer with an ASUS P2B-LS/350 motherboard.  It has both
the network and scsi built-in.  The network is ok, but when I try to install
FreeBSD (2.2.7) the installer (floppy kernel) does not recognize any hard
drives.   I have two Seagate 4.5G cheetahs (UW SCSI) and two IBM 2G (UW
SCSI) drives installed.  The bios sees the drives at splash screen time.
Yet the installer say no drive are present.

I found some docs that mention that I might need CAM for the aic7xxx.  Is
this true?  If so how do I get the freebsd on the machine so I can make a
kerel with the CAM patches installed?

Thanks for your help.
Matt

PS can I use CCD with CAM?

 Matthew E. Martini, PE        InVision, LLC.       (516) 543-1000
 Chief Technology Officer      matt@invision.net    (516) 864-8896 Fax