Date:      Sat, 29 Aug 1998 03:55:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Kelly Yancey <kbyanc@freedomnet.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   determining an X window ID?

  I have written a fairly short shell script to launch xmcd which first
checks to see if any other cd player is already running and if so, does
not launch another instance of xmcd (for when I click on the wrong thing
:) )
  Anyway, I'm running fvwm2 and thought it would sure be nice if I could
somehow have the script bring the already running cd player to the
foreground...kind of a "Here it dummy" response. It's starting to look
like this seemingly simple task is anything but.
  I guess the question is: is there anyway to get the X window ID for a
process? And if so, other than writing my own X app or fvwm module, is
there anyway to tell X to bring that window ID to the foreground.
  I was thinking that if I could somehow just get the fvwm command
"windowid <windowid here> raisefocus" to fvwm2 everything would be
good.... (raisefocus does just what it says...issues a Raise and then a
Focus command).

  Any insight would be much appreciated.

  Kelly Yancey
 ~kbyanc@freedomnet.com~