Date:      Mon, 4 Nov 1996 00:26:55 +0200 (SAT)
From:      Peter van Heusden <pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Probe failing on SoundBlaster component of Phoneblaster

I have a Creative Labs Phoneblaster, which is basically a Soundblaster 16
merged with a modem, and am having problems detecting the Soundblaster
part of it.

The board is a Plug&Pray one, but I don't think that is the problem, for
reasons described below.

Anyway, my kernel is configured

controller	snd0
device		sb0 at isa? port 0x220 irq 5 drq 1 vector sbintr

The sb0 probe fails, so I pulled the code from sb_dsp.c, and hacked it
into a loadable kernel module, which also fails to get the correct
response from the probe. What basically happens is this:

outb 1 at the DSP_RESET port
wait a while
outb 0 at the DSP_RESET port
wait a while longer (both waits are done using tenmicrosec(), defined in
/i386/isa/sound/soundcard.c)

check for bit 7 set at DSP_DATA_AVAIL port (response from card is 0xFF)
check for response 0xAA at DSP_READ port

Everything goes fine, but the response at DSP_READ is 0x00, not 0xAA. The
fact that 0xFF is read at the DSP_DATA_AVAIL port seems to imply to me
that the card is in fact there (i.e. the P&P config must have worked). I
am thus confused by the 0x00 failure.

Does anyone out there have a Phoneblaster that is actually working under
FreeBSD? Any advice would be appreciated.

Peter
--
Peter van Heusden |       Computers Networks Greens Justice Peace Beer Africa
pvh@leftside.wcape.school.za					pvh@gem.co.za