Date:      Mon, 10 Jul 1995 05:46:04 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@sidwell.edu>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   file system full for uid 0 -- doesn't update on file delete

This may be expected behavior, butI'm not sure, and it cetainly caused me
some difficulty ;).  I ran ppp in one xterm as a normal user, and dialed
to my service provider.  I went away for the weekend, left connected.
When I came back, I found that the ppp logs in /var/logs had filled my
root partition (6 megs of log files for two days?) and I had a long
series of log messages saying so.  I couldn't figure out at first where
my space had gone -- did a du -x, etc, and eventually found the offending
file -- I deleted the ppp.log file -- ppp was still running.  while du
showed that theconsumed disk space was now 12 megs, df showed a 19 meg
consumption instead.  I kept getting out of disk space errors, and
attempting to cat to a file was unpleasent.  ;).  In the end I rebooted
the system.

My afterthoughts were.. ;).  I shoud have killed ppp, as I assume that
the file was being kept open, so the space wasn't being released for some
reason (I'm not familiar with the guts of FreeBSD's file handling.)  ppp
generates too many logs by default ;).  that ppp, when run as a normal
user, can easily fill up my root partition is a little disturbing.  Now
presumably if I was really desperate, I could partition cvar onto its own
file system, but I'd prefer not to repartition on my home system.  It's
interesting to wonder whether a long install over a low speed ppp line
from the boot floppy would result in an overflowed MFS file system
resulting in a halt in the installation or not..  Also, since df and du
reported different disk consumption and such, while I'm not suggesting
either individual behavior is wrong, consistenc is very nice.  Also I
wonder what would have happened if ppp had locked in core -- I'd have to
reboot to regain disk space..

These are just assumptions based on my assuming that the file being kept
open actually is the cause of the problem.  Thoughts appreciated..

Robert Watson   rwatson@sidwell.edu   http://www.sidwell.edu/~rwatson/
The goal of science is to build better mousetraps.  The goal of nature
is to build better mice.