Date:      	Sat, 29 Jul 1995 12:40:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        Ollivier Robert <roberto@blaise.ibp.fr>, ache@astral.msk.su, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

On Sat, 29 Jul 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > > There is lots of daemons even in _standard_ system sbin.
> > > Rest of world don't know anything about recent libexec BSDsm...
> >
> > Daemons that are started by /etc/rc.local or by root are /*/sbin not in
> > libexec. Daemons that are started by inetd are in */libexec.
>
> Daemons that are run from the command line (or can be run from the command
> line) go in /usr/src/sbin,  Daemons that are only started by other programs
> go in /usr/libexec.  There is nothing about rc files or ``root'' in the
> applicable criteria.
>
> Please refer to ``man 7 hier'' when talking about such things:
>
> 	libexec/	system daemons & system utilities (executed by other
> 			programs)
>
> 	sbin/		system daemons & system utilities (executed by users)
>
> Please do not make up your own rules, these things are defined in the sited
> man page.  I have seen 3 wrong definations in todays mail :-(.

  Have you looked at the ports/packages lately?  Everyone seems to play
by different rules.

  - samba - creates a /usr/local/samba/{bin/lib/var} hierarchry.  The
daemons should be in /usr/local/sbin and the config files in
/usr/local/etc, and the logs in /var/log

  - wu-ftpd - the daemon is installed in /usr/local/etc instead of
/usr/local/libexec

  - emacs installs a bunch of stuff in /usr/local/libexec that don't
appear to be daemons

  And there are many others.  This lack of conformity makes packages
difficult to use, since quite often you don't know where config files are
to be located unless you reference the source, which defeats the whole
point of packages.  Packages almost never include crucial README or
INSTALL documents.  Basically, packages suck.

Tom