Date:      Wed, 30 Aug 1995 13:46:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Suggestions for 2.1.0

Here are the most useful suggestions/comments I could think of for
FreeBSD 2.1.0.  Use them (or ignore them) as you see fit:

1) One of the great things about FreeBSD is that it combines aspects of
System V or GNU when they are clearly better than what comes with BSD.
For example, FreeBSD uses vixie-cron (System V style) rather than BSD
cron.  I've found that Cornell's tcsh is a FAR better interactive shell
than /bin/csh and only about 30k larger.  Because of its many powerful
features (filename completion, Emacs-style editing, cursor-key history) it
deserves to be the default shell for FreeBSD.  On the other hand, although
bash is about as good as tcsh, it's 100k larger than /bin/sh and is mostly
used for shell scripts anyway, so I would recommend tcsh over bash (even
though Linux uses bash by default).

2) For similar reasons, I believe ncurses is a far superior replacement to
BSD curses.  The version of ncurses included with FreeBSD is missing a lot
of commands compared to the latest version (1.9.4) which can be D/Led from
ftp://ftp.netcom.com/pub/zm/zmbenhal/ncurses.  This version also includes
an excellent free terminfo database which is used by default instead of
/etc/termcap.  Also, Keith Bostic, the maintainer of nvi, has declared BSD
curses officially dead, and is recommending NCurses 1.9.x now.

I also have a few questions about FreeBSD in general:

3) When I built my kernel I compiled in SYSVSHM, SYSVSEM, and SYSVMSG,
because I figured public domain software (especially POSIX or Linux-style
programs) would use them.  Also I assumed XFree86 would use System V
shared memory for the MIT-SHM extension.  Are either of these assumptions
correct, and for what programs is it desirable to have System V support
in the kernel?

4) How is CD audio handled in FreeBSD?  It appears to be totally
different from both Linux and SunOS.  I have an IDE CD-ROM and so this
doesn't concern me until IDE CD-ROM support is solid enough for me to use
(see my other post about my trouble with FreeBSD-current), but I'm
curious as to how best to port a CD audio player from Linux.

Thanks in advance!  Keep up the good work...

     Jake Hamby                         |   E-Mail:  jehamby@lightside.com
  Student, Cal Poly University, Pomona  |   System Administrator, JPL