Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 1995 09:18:28 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Charles Owens <owensc@enc.edu>
To:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Subject:   Re:  Fiskars UPS support...

Mark Smith said:

> The crucial issue in this case is, once the UPS has sounded its death knell,
> ie. power's out, and battery holdout is down to a few minutes, what should
> one do?
>
> If you decide to shutdown, and then power comes back, you're stuck
> shutdown, waiting for the power failure to reboot you.
> If you go single-user, can you arrange to have the daemon survive the
> shutdown and send an appropriate signal to the root shell when the power
> comes back?
>
> Or would it be better to reboot and then as part of the boot process wait
> for the UPS to give the all-clear?

I will be implementing some sort of multi-system UPS (several FreeBSD
boxes, an RS/6000, and a Vax) and so I'm very interested in this.

I've given this some thought and it seems to me that going down to single
user is the best bet.  If we use this scheme, then there doesn't have to
be any special modifications make to the kernal and it will be much
easier to support a variety of UPS's.

I know this isn't your priority, but it would be nice if this could be
devoloped in some sort of modular fashion, separating the control logic
from the UPS-specific interface code.

I'm sure others would be interested in seeing such a project fly.

Let me know if I can help...
---
  Charles Owens					 Email:  owensc@enc.edu
                                       "I read somewhere to learn is to
  Information Technology Services     remember... and I've learned that
  Eastern Nazarene College            we've all forgot..."   - King's X