Date:      Fri, 3 Nov 1995 10:51:24 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@reptiles.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Crash & Burn: A Woe Tale of 2.0.5-RELEASE Install

Hi...

	Last night, I figured I'd upgrade my system to 2.0.5-RELEASE...
heard some good things about it compared to 2.0-RELEASE, and figured it
had been out long enough that risk was minimal...boy, was I wrong...

	Now, granted, this might be something I screwed up, but so far
as I can tell, it isn't, but then again, I've been following this list
for a bit now, and haven't noticed anyone else reporting similar problems...
makes one "hrmmm", now, doesn't it?

	Oh well.  I downloaded boot.flp, root.ftp and the complete bin
distribution.  Now, the first mistake was that it isn't listed anywhere
in the Preparation sections of handbook.ascii, but ... it nowhere mentions
that to install from floppy, you have to put the bin.* file in a /bin
directory on the floppy themselves...

	That finally done (borrowed a friends computer for that, for by
that time, my old Unix partition was gone..), and boot.flp/root.flp
dd'd to disks, I tried again...

	Got through the install phase, and got through bin.a[a-m] before
I got an error message on my screen - Write failure on transfer! (Wrote
-1 bytes of 10240 bytes).  Great, my hard drive is screwed, since it does
say it is a write error, doesn't it?

	So, I try it again (I'm persistent...it did have 2.0 installed
before, and was running fine).  Same error...so I figure, okay, maybe its
a problem with the distribution files, and not the hard drive...so again
I popped over to my friends, and we re-downloaded that diskette...same
problem.

	Well, I'm getting quite annoyed, and hadn't slept well the past
couple of nights, to tension was running high.  Figured I'd put it aside,
pass out for awhile, and try again this morning.  Only, this morning I
put into debug mode, just in case...

	Now, file 13 of 60 (bin.an), when I look at the debug screen,
reports:

	premature end of file
	gunzip: invalid compressed data -- format violated

	Part way through processing it, so it seems like the file itself
is corrupt.  Byte count looks right: 240640bytes...

	Baring that I'm short of information here, can anyone think of
why this is happening?  I'm currently trying to download another copy
of bin.an from ftp.freebsd.org, to see if somehow the file was corrupted
on downloading, while leaving the file size intact, but beyond that, I'm
going to have to borrow a friends CDrom to get 2.0-RELEASE going :(

Thanks...