Date:      Fri, 15 Dec 1995 12:16:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   PCI Settings on ACER MB...

Hi...

	I just picked up and installed a new ACER PCI 486DX4-100...and
I swear it isn't faster then my old 386DX40.  Pine still takes forever
to loadup, as are most of my applications that are dynamically linked,
and I just hit what is being reported as a 'bus error' signal to cc1
when I try to compile anything.

	Now, I've rebooted the machine, and its fine now, so am trying
to recompile the kernel again and will see what happens in that regard.

	Now, its a PCI motherboard, and there are setting here that I
don't much understand, nor know if they have relevance to Unix/FreeBSD
in any regard, good or bad.  Any recommendations are much appreciated
on which why they should be set:

	CPU Burst Write (not sure what current is)
	Video Shadow (disabled, ATI Mach64 4MB Video Card)
	Main BIOS Cacheable (disabled, didn't think Unix used it)
	Video Shadow Cacheable (disabled)
	LBA Mode (disabled, only one IDE drive, < 500MB)
	32-bit transfer (enabled, IDE)
	CPU-to-PCI Memory Post Write Buffer (not sure of setting)
	CPU-to-PCI Memory Burst Write (not sure of setting)

	Those are the only things in the manual that I'm not sure
whether they are applicable to Unix, and how...

Thanks for any advice on this...

Marc G. Fournier | POP Mail  Telnet Acct  DNS Hosting
scrappy@hub.org  |  WWW Services   Database Services  | Knowledge,
 soon to be:     |                                    | Information and
scrappy@ki.net   |      WWW: http://hub.org           | Communications, Inc