Date:      Wed, 17 Jan 1996 15:24:47 -0600 (CST)
From:      Neal Rigney <neal@jennifer.pernet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SIGHUP and pppd

I cannot for the life of me get pppd to _reliably_ hang up modems.  If a
person is disconnected (i.e. line noise), the machine hangs up about half
the time.  The other half, it just stays running, confusing the next
person trying to log in.  About 1/10th of the time it leaves the tty in
an unusable state.

my /etc/ppp/options:
modem   (without this, pppd has no clue how to hang up)
-detach (without this, pppd never gets the HUP at all)
crtscts
proxyarp

pppd is just run as the user's shell.  Nothing fancy.  No PAP/CHAP, etc.

If it makes any difference, I'm using a cyclades 16port card and a bunch
of USR Courier 288's.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me out here.  Even a "pppd has a
horrible bug in it" will at least let me know to look elsewhere.

--
Neal Rigney sysadmin, PERnet Communications, (409)729-4638
neal@mail.pernet.net