Date:      Thu, 7 Mar 1996 14:42:00 -0800 (PST)
From:      invalid opcode <coredump@nervosa.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org

Just on a whim, I decided to go into #linux (irc) and ask their opinions
of FreeBSD. Some were uneducated, some were just plain wrong. Here is the
log, it has been edited for brevity:

-- cut here ---------------------------------------------------------------
*** coredump_ (coredump@nervosa.com) has joined channel #linux
*** Topic for #linux: when in doubt, RTFM
*** Topic for #linux set by Durtro on Mar  7 13:34:33
*** Users on #linux: coredump_ assassin fogg |napa|m Lews ferkku keiser Downtown_ robl sv sewilco gonner wyme [oscar] AsmPro Dasmius Iridium Puppe @LinBitch [skum] antmo MCB @Durtro @NOAM Doc_O BitSurfer LiNuXuSeR @FIAM j2^ @filin0 OpCode tonio scaurus ja
mesd2 @DoDad @Tempss namzaj w1ld Wizird newton_ Cobra{} Zaph @Visuals @Dustyn DredgeZZZ @Temp BioH longhair_ Dossy @BigRed Valkyrie @Watchers taipan2
<coredump_> What do you all think of FreeBSD? I'm taking a survey, seriously.
* jamesd2 is running 1.3.71 no probs ......
<Downtown_> Yeah how good is FreeBSD? Im soo sick of redhat, im going to dump it and I need something good.. How is Yadgrillllie or whatever it is?
<j2^> coredump_ i couldnt even install it on my machine, it cold booted while probing hardware! :)
<antmo> coredump: i dunno, i'd like to run it, but haven't come up w/ the $ for the cd
<coredump_> antmo: why don't you download it?
<coredump_> j2: what kind of hardware od you have?
<coredump_> downtown: I would suggest trying out freebsd, it's true BSD unix
<Downtown_> Durtro: I ran Slackware for years now.. And I love it, thought I would try RedHAt and it SUCKS
<antmo> coredump: me have a 14.4 on a tia connection to a slow isp...don't have tha patients
<coredump_> antmo: it will only take you about 3 hours
<j2^> core: P120 (Intel Atlantis board) 40MB ram, 1.6, 1.0, 1.0 GB EIDE, 545, 730MB SCSI and a 6 spin CD
<Downtown_> Coredump: But is it anything like linux?
*** Mode change "+o WingMan" on channel #linux by DoDad
<Cobra{}> FREEBSD is just ok
<|napa|m> Downtown: id suggest Debian or Slackware.. bot are excellent
<coredump_> downtown: but what do you mean: "is it anything like linux?"
<coredump_> cobra: how is it "ok"?
<Downtown_> Coredump: Exactly like I said, how does it compare to linux
<Cobra{}> I wasent that impressed..and not much support ..
<jamesd2> my last isp, used bsd... it was great, but now linux is better than bsd was
<Doc_O> core: Then why survey?  What we use shouldn't matter.
<coredump_> downtown: well im asking about what do you mean by compare? speed wise, support wise, etc?
<coredump_> jamesd: why is it better?
<antmo> coredump: yeah, i downloaded the big fat install howto, and haven't gotten through the whole thing, hopefully i'll have the $/patients when i do get through it
<coredump_> antmo: but it's free, you can download the bin,man,floppies dir's and be done.
<coredump_> downtown: well first off FreeBSD is pure 4.4BSD style unix, where as Linux borrows features from both SysV and 4.4BSD
<|napa|m> coredump: hmm most ppl ive talked to preferred Linux ver FreeBSD.. ive never tried BSD though so i cant judge it :)
<jamesd2> coredump: it was faster and the system better intergrated, but now linux is better..... linux has improved and is at least equal if not better, my comparison was about 15 months ago a lot has changed since then
<coredump_> james: well _why_ is it "better?"
<Cobra{}> coredump_: FreeBSD is not that great
<coredump_> cobra: okay, why?
<Cobra{}> FreeBSD: support sucks
<Cobra{}> FreeBSD: ports on the older 386 forget install on a 386
<coredump_> cobra: it sucks? how does it suck?
<jamesd2> coredump: speed, support, hardware support
<Cobra{}> they just got it to barley run on a 4 meg system
<coredump_> cobra: forget install? what does that mean?
* Downtown_ is going to download Slackware - seems I have no choice
<coredump_> cobra: true, but you'll find that when you do actually run it normally, it's swapping with have higher performance than Linux
<-[downtown_]-> do me a favor
<Downtown_> RedhAt blows, yadgralliiais blows and no one will tell me where to get debain and how it looks so...
<Cobra{}> forget install install over my internet connection was the only feature I liked
<-[downtown_]-> what kind of hardware do you have?
<WingMan> downtown: slacks init is bsd style...where redhat and devian are the new sysvinit
[Downtown_:root@164.170.2] Pentium 166 with 128 meg of ram and 4 gig hd
<coredump_> cobra: you didnt like the fact that it was a 100% consistent with 4.4bsd unix and has better networking (tcp/ip, nfs, http) performance than Linux?
<Downtown_> Wingman: and uhh.. What does sysvinit mean? :)
<-[Downtown_]-> what kind of hard drive?
<Lews> coredump: it has the same networking (tcpip ) as linux
[Downtown_:root@164.170.2] 4gig
<hallow> Wingman: I personally much prefer the bsd style..
<Cobra{}> coredump_: I run it on a 386 I just tested it..It had a few things I liked but support is the biggest issue I guess for me I had no problems running it..but for newbies to unix freebsd is not the way to go
<coredump_> lews: it does the same networking, the code is not the same
<-[Downtown_]-> scsi?
<WingMan> downtown: its just the modern way and more of a standard
<Downtown_> lews: Do you know of a ftp site on this side of the ocean? I dont feel like downloading a 0.001k/sec
<Downtown_> WingMan: Does Debian look/run anything like RedHat?
<coredump_> cobra: support is there, just subscribe to the mailling lists or go into #freebsd
<Lews> coredump: where do you think they got the code?  Its a direct port
<|napa|m> coredump: the httpd is completely dependent onthe httpd you run. Apache is the best free httpd you can buy, and it works with linux
<|napa|m> er not buy but install
[Downtown_:root@164.170.2] AIDE
<coredump_> lews: no, it's not
<coredump_> lews: it's from the 4.4lite net2 tape from Berkeley
<-[Downtown_]-> do me a favor
*** Signoff: Downtown_ (Time wasted: 14 minutes 13 seconds)
*** Downtown_: No such nick/channel
<WingMan> comparing redhat to debian is like comparing redhat to slack.....
<coredump_> FreeBSD also has a unified distribution, and a major ftp site that is connected at 100mbps on a 150mhz p6 with 512 megs of ram
<Lews> coredump: the only places that I have found an advantage in bsdi or free bsd is nfs (and maybe swap...)
<coredump_> with 72 gigs of hd space
<coredump_> FreeBSD can run that, no problem.
<coredump_> lews: what about the fact that it is consistent?
<Lews> coredump: other networking features like nis nis+ and simultanious connections seem much better under linux
<coredump_> only one distribution means consistency
<jamesd2> coredump: ftp.cdrom.com has a 100mbs link to the net
<coredump_> james: that is the site im talking about
<coredump_> james: ftp.freebsd.org = ftp.cdrom.com
<jamesd2> coredump: they also have slackware  2 versions and sunsite and tsx-11 mirrors
<coredump_> okay people, we are in the process of gathering comparitive data for FreeBSD and Linux, and potentially other OS'. When this data is posted, would you take the time to look at it, and maybe change your decision?
<antmo> coredump: does it have any sort of install beyond the base filesystem setup?
<coredump_> antmo: of course
<dem2> change your decision about what?
<MCB> coredump: no
<coredump_> antmo: it's install is just about the same as slackware
<coredump_> mcb: why not?
<coredump_> dem2: about the OS' you are running. As long as it's not a decision that will force you to lose alot of work
<dem2> i will run whatever i need to run to get the job done
<dem2> but linux has been fine for over 2.5 years now
<MCB> coredump: i dont care... So far I have no problems w/ linux in terms of network performance or stability.  The NFS code is getting better in Linux also... If it aint broke dont fix it
<dem2> so...
<dem2> i tried bsd before
<coredump_> dem2: okay, now if something out there can run it better, and get the job done better, you would change to it?
<dem2> yes
<Saber> I have an ISP and All my addresses
<dem2> yes if it can run everything better or if the trade off was wort it
<coredump_> mcb: bad attitude to take, in this unix world, we dont go by: if it ain't broke, dont fix it"
<dem2> s/wort/worth/g
<MCB> coredump: why should i switch? what will i gain?
<coredump_> dem2: okay thanks for the educated decision.
<coredump_> mcb: better network performance, very increased stability, consistency of 4.4bsd unix, consistency of distribution, a very fast ftp site, a better OS basically, IMO
<dem2> coredump bsd has "better" networking ... but that is it
<coredump_> mcb: ftp.cdrom.com is a 150mhz P6 with 512megs of ram and 72 gigs of hd space with a 100mbps connection. It typically has over 1000 people ftping from it at once. This all runs off of FreeBSD
<MCB> coredump: why are you even here?  Ive had no problems w/ stability, and the network performance is fine...
<coredump_> mcb: have you used FreeBSD before?
<dem2> if you define the os as strictly networking then yes bsd is "better" but overall (including X and all other programs) i believe linux to be better
<jamesd2> dem2: the networking code is almost equal now between linux vs BSD
<dem2> coredump see above.... yes if you are just networking bsd is better
<dem2> but it is tougher to set up and such
<coredump_> dem2: i'm not, as I said, I don't have all the comparitive data to work off of, I'm just taking initial impressions right now
<MCB> coredump: nope
<coredump_> mcb: okay, than you cannot say the network performance is fine compared to FreeBSD.
<coredump_> okay, we'll thanks for your time people

== coredump@nervosa.com ================ http://www.nervosa.com/~coredump ==