Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 1996 22:24:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marc Ramirez <mrami@mrami.com>
To:        Richard Chang <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Keyboard bindings

On Wed, 17 Apr 1996, Richard Chang wrote:

> 	Hmmm, so is ^O the only discard character?

No, you use the stty program to set the discard character (or any other
special control characters for that matter).  For instance,

$ stty discard ^a

sets the discard character to Control-A,

$ stty discard ^o

sets it to Control-O,

$ stty discard 7

sets it to '7', and

$ stty discard undef

undefines it (after which there is no discard key).  To see what other
control characters you can set, do 'stty -a' and look under the "cchars:"
section.

> Also, do you mean that
> you can just hit ^O and then another key and ^O will work correctly?

Well, you hit the discard key and it works correctly. :)  If you do the
'stty discard undef', there is no discard key.

> 	Hmmm, what is discard anyways?

I think at this point you'll just have to play with it to get a feel for
it. :)  I can also suggest the stty(1) and termios(4) man pages for terse
but fairly complete explanations of what is going on.

Marc.

--
Computer Science has some of the most colorful language of any field.  In
what other field can you walk into a sterile room, carefully controlled