Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 07:47:21 -0500 (EST)
From:      Mike Newell <mnewell@newell.arlington.va.us>
To:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu
Cc:        Veggy Vinny <richardc@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ricochet modem by Metricom

On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Doug White wrote:

> > 	Hmmm, do you just use a three digit number to reach U of Oregon
> > like the number**ppp or is the number longer than that and is the
> > performance different if you just used the ricochet internet service
> > instead of the university gateway?
>
> Yup.  I haven't used Ricochet's service so I can't compare them.  All I
> know is that the University is free and Metricom's is not :)

I have a couple of friends that have these, using the commercial network
connects.  They see about 9.6Kbs throughput with MASSIVE packet delays -
on the order of seconds.  They're OK if you use a POP/IMAP service or
want to use them for viewing Web stuff (although the 9.6Kbs throughput is
not impressive...), but for interactive stuff they're worse than going
through a satellite link.  :-(

One of my friends was using his laptop in his living room to connect to
his main system in his study.  Apparently he was connecting through the
DC hub, which routes him to Texas, then through SF to NASA's hub there,
then back to DC and to his house.  Quite the whirlwind tour...  :-)

Much obliged,

Mike

| Mike Newell                          | The opinions expressed herein      |
| Affiliation:                         | are mine.  You can take them or    |
| Address:                             | leave them.  Flames to /dev/null.  |
| Mike@Newell.arlington.va.us          | http://www.newell.arlington.va.us  |
| "Peace.  It's wonderful!"  Father Divine.                                 |