Date:      Sat, 15 Mar 1997 09:00:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Intuitive Design Archive <archive@in-design.com>
To:        Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
Cc:        Pedro Vapi <vapi@student.dei.uc.pt>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: My dear sio1 (COM2)

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Doug White wrote:

> On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Pedro Vapi wrote:
>
> > > YES!  They conflict!  Either change the modem or the BIOS to use another
> > > port.

> > > Have you checked your BIOS settings?
> >
> > Yes... and you know what? I have an option for Serial Port 2. The option
> > for that is, Auto, disable, [...], 2F8,[...]
> > When i remember to see my bios (after send my mail) i noticed that that
> > option was DISABLE!!!!
> > So I changed it to 2F8h
> > You know what happen?? When I started FreeBSD or DOS and don't use sio1,
> > no trouble happen, and BIOS keeps unchanged. When i used my sio1 (i tried
> > to put my mouse there) THE BIOS CHANGE!!!! It automatically changes to
> > DISABLE!!! I suspect that it is the marvelous PnP...
> > Doug: thx for ur sugestion but, pleazzzzz, does you have any other
> > sugestion???
>
> Hm, another cranky Phoenix bios I bet.  :(  I am really beginning to hate
> that bios, and PnP in general.
>
> These are the IBM PC settings for the first two serial ports, COM1 and
> COM2.
>
> sio0 at 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 on isa
> sio0: type 16550A
> sio1 at 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa
> sio1: type 16550A
>
> SO here's how I understand how you want to connect things using DOS
> terminology, since that's what this stuff is built for.
>
> COM1:  modem
> COM2:  mouse
>
> I guess you should set your BIOS as follows:
>
> Serial Port 1:  2f8, irq 3
> Serial Port 2:  Disabled
>
> Plug your mouse into the external port marked Serial Port 1.
>
> Save your changes, then quit.  Make sure you save them, otherwise they'll
> have no effect.
>
> > Damn... i can't believe i have to change my board...
>
> Maybe not, we'll play with it a bit...

	I have a delema along the same lines.  I joined this thread
late.  But here is the set up that I have:

	COM1 : External Modem
	COM2 : Logiteck serial mouse

I am trying to figure out two things.  First, I put in an internal
Zoltrix modem (non-PNP) version, and have no way of finding out what it's
settings are what so ever.  I tried alot of things. Maybe is there is a
port checker out there that I can use to tell me what is what?

Second I have a psm0 device showing up at IRQ 12.  However it conflicts
with IO_KBD 0X60 memory block. SO I Am wondering if that is the modem. Is
there anything out there that can check some of these settings for me?
MSD doesn't seam to have any info. Also can I have both com ports working
and the internal modem, or does one of the internal ports have to be closed?
The motherboard that I have is an OptiViper with a cyrix 166+.

Two more odd things, or questions: Is there anyway to use the 586
optamization in the kernel with the cyrix 166+ ?

	and my Logiteck mouse only works with the following setting:
Section "Pointer"
   Protocol        "GlidePoint"
   Device          "/dev/cuaa1"
   BaudRate        1200
EndSection

	Which is very odd indeed... But since it works fine, I am just
cureous rather then worried.

			Thanks alot all for the great help

				Tamer Ziady

						Intuitive Design Archive