Date:      Thu, 27 Mar 1997 09:57:48 +1100 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        Damian Hamill <damian@cablenet.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: routing to dialup a network

On Wed, 26 Mar 1997, Damian Hamill wrote:

> With regards to my query about routing to a dialup network my thanks go
> to those who responded, especially
>
> Daniel O'Callaghan	danny@panda.hilink.com.au

Thank you for your kind words.

> who very kindly sent me some example gated config files.
>
> After a bit of pondering I think I've got a better idea of what I need
> to do now.
>
> 	1) I'm going to add and delete routes in the ip-up/ip-down scripts
> using a customer specific script which is passwd as ipparam to pppd as a
> filter identifier and comes from the customer's radius entry.  So that
> sorts out the adding a delteing of routes on the terminal server.

If the customer has a static IP address for their end of the ppp
link, you don't need to add the routes with the up/down scripts.  Simply
declare the route in gated static{} clause and gated will add the
route, delete it, and advertise its correct status.

> 	2) I'm going to run gated on the terminal server which I assume will
> advertise the routes as they are added by the script.
 It will advertise the routes listed in static{}

> 	3) I'm going to change my network topology so that the term servers are
> on an independent network from the other machines and run gated on the
> router between the two nets, with static routes to this network on the
> other machines.

This does make for fewer headaches.

Cheers,

Danny