Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 18:15:45 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        jbryant@tfs.net, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: On Holy Wars, and a Plea for Peace [sorry Danny, wherever you are, but the title fits]...

On Wed, 16 Apr 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > > We sell to distributors and end-users both.  What the distributors
> > > do with the product afterwards is their call, not ours.
> >
> > what do they do with them?  i have yet to see a store carrying
> > FreeBSD...
>
> I don't know where you live, but they can be found at both Fry's and
> "Weird Stuff" - two popular Bay Area computer outlets.  Fry's,

I was on Totenham court road in London (England) yesterday and saw some
Walnut Creek CD rom's for sale, can't remember which ones, but they were
WCreek. However I saw no FreeBSD cd's there...

The Bay Area is only a very small part of the world. No matter how
important.

> I've also seen copies at Cody's bookstore in Berkeley, a popular
> hangout for CS types.  More linux stuff, naturally, but they at least
> had FreeBSD in the retail box in their OS section.  I believe you can
> also find them at Computer Literacy, though I haven't checked recently.

More Linux in Berekely, isn't that scary ?

> This is not to say that there aren't stores we could still get into
> that we're not, and I've often wondered what the penalties are for
> reverse-shoplifting.  I walk in with 10 of the latest FreeBSD CDs
> (already price-stickered at the usual retail price of $24.95) and
> surrepticiously stick them on the shelves.  It's an option which has
> crossed my mind more than once. :-)

I'm sure if you offer to sell these to people, perhaps give 10 to a shop
to price however they like (suggest say 50 ukpounds in the UK I don't
know about $) and give them a number to ring to order more.
They'd be happy to sell them for you, and say they all go in the first
day, I'm sure they'll order more from you.

> > at least go back and read last night's list...  and you must admit...
> > i am right about the exposure/distribution factor, maybe walnut creek
> > needs to get some distributors serious about getting the disks out on
> > the shelves...
>
> They are serious and they are trying, but Rome wasn't built in a day
> and they're still rebuilding their distributor sales force (they had
> some personnel changes which left them understaffed, but they've been
> hiring aggressively and now appear to have it back up to snuff, albeit
> not quite so experienced as before [that just takes time]).

Rome wasn't built in a day, but that was one localised area, you could
send a bunch of CD's as suggested to halfway round the globe for the cost
of a pressed CD and a stamp or two, maybe it'd be worth it ?
There's a lot of empty markets out there, and I sure as hell know that
Linux sells off the shelf all round UK.

--
Steve Roome
Technical Systems Manager, Vision Interactive Ltd.