Date:      Fri, 6 Jun 1997 10:45:04 +0300 (IDT)
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        whitmore <whitmores@postoffice.worldnet.att.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BSD

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, whitmore wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My Name is TSgt Shannon Whitmore, I'm in the US Air Force and attending
> school in computer operations.  The curriculum involves UNIX.  I was
> looking on the wbe for info and anything else I could find to further my
> UNIX experience, and I found your site..great by the way...anyway this
> is my question.
>
> I have down loadied the boot disk and would like to download the
> operating system..I've read all your info pertaining to pre install
> ext.. I booted from the boot disk and started installation, I was going
> to install via the FTP, how ever it only allows COMM1 or 2 and My modem
> is on COMM4,  I do not have the documentation for my modem to change the
> jumpers for any other comm ports..So I was going to D/L using WsFtp,
> however I have no Idea by looking through the site what I need to D/L..I
> wanted the basic operating system with the X-windows System, and allow
> adminstration of the system.  Could you please tell me which directories
> and files if possible I need to D/.L from to obtain what I want.  I
> would greatly appreciate it.

The absolute minimum is the bin directory. You are strongly advised to
add manpages and src/ssys* (or src in its entirety if you want it). XFree
is the complete X distribution and comes in its own directory. Yoy can
D/L all of the above (using Binary mode) to a DOS partition and follow
the instructions for a DOS partition installation.

> Thank you,
> Shannon Whitmore

Nadav