Date:      Tue, 8 Jul 1997 17:45:58 +1000 (EST)
From:      "Daniel O'Callaghan" <danny@panda.hilink.com.au>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   news server behaviour

[forwarded from isp due to lack of response]

Hi,

I've just put together a news server.  I know it is underpowered somewhat.
It is a Pentium 100, 32 MB RAM, wd0 is 540 MB IDE, sd0 is Quantum
730MB, sd1 is Quantum 1 GB. aha0 is 1542cf with 8Mbps scsi bus.

sd0 and sd1 are ccd0 (/var/news) with interleave of 65536.  News is coming
in via a ppp link on a directly attached modem, at about 3-4kbps.  It has
been running for 36 hours and there is now 475 MB news on /var/news.
There is no-one at all reading news.

That all sounds reasonable, but I'm not so sure about the stats from top
and systat -vmstat.  Top shows innd (1.5.1) at 60-70% CPU (39% user, 50%
system).  Systat shows similar figures.

I'm running kernel pppd with compression, and there seem to be about 4000
sio0 interrupts per systat refresh, but it shows 4% CPU for interrupt
servicing.

/var/news is mounted noatime.  innd has 2 MB resident size.

Is the CPU utilisation normal for the situation?  In a previous incarnation
the box was a Linux machine doing the same job under a different admin,
and CPU for innd was more like 5-20% with no readers.

/*  Daniel O'Callaghan                                                     */
/*  HiLink Internet <http://www.hilink.com.au/>;       danny@hilink.com.au  */
/*  FreeBSD - works hard, plays hard...                 danny@freebsd.org  */