Date:      Fri, 8 Nov 1996 21:57:48 +0100 (MET)
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        Torsten Blum <torstenb@solar.tlk.com>
Cc:        fenner@parc.xerox.com, se@freebsd.org, jkh@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need "a" ghostscript

On Fri, 8 Nov 1996, Torsten Blum wrote:

> Andreas Klemm wrote:
>
> > I think we could remove ghostscript 2.6.2 and 3.x port. gs4 seems
> > pretty stable. No need to keep several versions like with tcl/tk.
> >
> > Does somebody have something against removal of gs2 and gs3 port ?!
>
> gs2 has a different licence than gs3 and gs4.
> (gs4 restricts commercial redistribution).
> We should keep at least gs2 (IMHO)

If we have multiple gs versions around, we should perhaps call one
gs and the others gs<Version> ...

Since gs 2 is at least less restrictive as the others, gs 2 might
become 'gs' and the others gs3 and gs4.

Remember, the startingpoint of this discussion was, that Bill said,
gs could be any gs version in the example below:

RUN_DEPENDS=    gs:${PORTSDIR}/print/ghostscript4

The port dependency might mean, you really need ghostscript4, but
gs could be _any_ gs version ... 2, 3 or 4.

Would it be ok, to keep them all and rename the binaries of the
ghostscript Versions 3 and 4  to gs3 and gs4 ?!

Ok one problem remains, all ghostscript versions come with some utilities
in /usr/local/bin of the same name ... A recommendation would be, to install
only one version ...

Or should we keep the situation "as is" ?

--
andreas@klemm.gtn.com         /\/\___      Wiechers & Partner Datentechnik GmbH
   Andreas Klemm          ___/\/\/         Support Unix -- andreas.klemm@wup.de