Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 1996 20:25:11 -0500 (EST)
From:      Matt Hamilton <matt@clintondale.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Usernames (was Sendmail, POP3 & RADIUS, etc.)

I have just been looking at various mail systems and comparing them to
sendmail in my quest for longer usernames and moving username
authentication away from /etc/passwd.

In my searching through the sendmail FAQ I came across several comments
from Eric Allman about the fact that usernames should NOT be
First_Lastname@domain.com due to what happens if another person of the
same name comes along.  Unlikeyly, but still possible.

I started to think about changing my plan and using some sort of unique
alphanumeric user id such as mh6225 or such.  Perhaps using the first two
initials and then some sort of unique number (UID maybe?).  And then just
putting hteir name in /etc/aliases to alias it to the logon ID.

My fear is that this will confuse users too much and make the system a bit
impersonal.  I would much rather my address be m.hamilton@clintondale.com
rather than mh6225@clintondale.com.  OK, so I would still get mail

devlivered to m.hamilton, but I think most users would still get confused.
I might want to also figure out a way so sendmail rewites the address as
mail is sent so that the from line says m.hamilton@clintondale.com instead
of mh6225.

I am starting to confuse myself now and I am wondering whether this is all
worth it :) but I would be interested in hearing what other ISPs or mail
servers policy is.  Escpecially those that are trying to target a business
audience.

-Matt

  Matt Hamilton                                         Clintondale Aviation
  matt@clintondale.com                            http://www.clintondale.com