Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 1997 06:59:08 -0400 (AST)
From:      The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   mount -o async on a news servre

Hiya...

	Exactly *how* dangerous is setting a file system to async?

	In my case, I'm braving it on a news server, just the ccd
device that contains both the news admin and spool directories.  The
drive is local to the system.

	My understanding of asynchronous I/O is that it doesn't wait
for an acknowledgement from the system before going to the next
write (only, its a very basic understanding?), so I'm curiuos as how
it would handle writting the history file itself?

	The only risk that I can see is that if the system crashes,
I'll have (might have) a corrupted file system, but is that my only
risk?  ie. if I turned on async for a period of time (long enough for
a backlog from one system to catch up?) and then turned it back off
again, would that be reasonably safe?

	BTW...what exactly does fastfs do?  My understanding is that
this is basically what it does, turns the file system to be async vs
sync...

Thanks...