Date:      Fri, 14 Mar 1997 12:53:18 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Eric J. Schwertfeger" <ejs@bfd.com>
To:        Nick Liu <nickliu@uniqsite.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multiport Serial card from ByteRunner

On Fri, 14 Mar 1997, Nick Liu wrote:

> I asked for a catalog from the ByteRunner.  In the attached letter it
> indicated that FREEBSD 2.1 supported it.
>
> The discussion I found in the archive all said the same thing: only up to
> 115200 bps.
>
> What is going on here?  Which FREEBSD support this serial card up to 460K?
> Please e-mail me.

Depends on which ByteRunner Card.  Right now, No FreeBSD version that I'm
aware of supports 16650 software selection of baud rates higher than
115.2kbps. I plan on rectifying this, but that certainly won't be anytime
in the next month or so.

However, some of the ByteRunner cards allow you to feed a higher than
standard clock to the UART.  This doesn't have to be supported by
software, as the software will set 115.2kbps and get 2 or 4 times that.

I understand that there are some kernel tweaks that need to be done to
make this work reliably.  I've got some cards I'm going to play with, but
I haven't actually set them up yet.