Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 1997 15:00:59 +0100 (BST)
From:      Stephen Roome <steve@visint.co.uk>
To:        Eivind Eklund <perhaps@yes.no>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ISDN drivers/cards

I know this discussion is old now, but I didn't get to my mailbox
in time, and I've had too much grief trying to get bisdn working reliably
to let it pass...

On Wed, 30 Jul 1997, Eivind Eklund wrote:

> If anybody would like to attempt to develop drivers for the the Tele/S
> ISDN cards, I've got some cards I'm not using.  These are European
> cards; they won't work on a standard US endpoint.  Also, they are
> fairly low-level, and need a lot of logic in the driver.
>
> Contact me for further info if you're interested.  (Yeah, I know of
> the bISDN people, but nothing seems to be happening there; besides,
> they have already got hardware, it seems.)

I tried using bisdn, both with -current and 2.2.2, without much luck, I'm
in europe (england) and although bisdn connects and works most of the time
it did have a nasty habit of just halting the machine completely. If I
used natd and aliased a bunch of machines through it it crashed sooner..
but it only seems to crash when bisdn I was using telnet. (ping etc.
wouldn't crash it for me).

Basically though, bisdn isn't a workable stable system. It was a pain to
install and IMHO is a total mess. (Even sound cards need less junk in the
kernel.)

Well, just wanted to say that in case someone suggests that we should all
be using bisdn. Because IMHO, it sucks, and really shouldn't be used as a
base for future code either. (except as a bad example.)

As far as other cards go I wouldn't bother, we got in touch with chase
research and they won't release the specs for their cards without an NDA,
(so no source code going out for them, well, not by me or anyone here.)

AFAIK many of the other ISDN cards are almost Teles-like compatibles
anyway, so I would hope someone decides to write a decent driver for them
separately to bisdn. Perhaps then I'll stop buying USR courier I-modems
for ISDN lines.  Although at least with them I can use ppp -alias, as I'm
not entirely sure natd is the most stable thing about yet either.

Not too much of a dig I hope, but since my recent experiences with ISDN I
would suggest either using Winblows 95/NT to route through and ISDN card,
or get a real (Hayes AT compatibly set) ISDN modem.

--
Steve Roome - Vision Interactive Ltd.
Tel:+44(0)117 9730597 Home:+44(0)976 241342