Date:      Wed, 27 May 1998 15:09:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Marc Nicholas <marc@hippocampus.net>
To:        Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
Cc:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: LCDs...

Peter et al...

On Wed, 27 May 1998, Peter Dufault wrote:

> You could also drive the parallel connection on Optrex style
> controllers through the parallel port.

I would imagine this would become timing sensitive, no?

> We use the I2C bus using the access.bus physical TELCO jack pinout
> for this because these LCDs and buttons eventually run on
> microcontrollers.  I like this - it daisy chains well so you can
> have a button module and a display module and click them together.

<dumb question> How do you get an I2C bus on a PeeCee? Can you fake it
somehow?

I'd be interested in references for I2C buttons...or keypads.

> Check the back of the mag "Circuit Cellar INK The Computer Applications
> Journal" (circuitcellar.com) for some RS232 displays I know absolutely
> nothing about (www.matrix-orbital.com).

The Matrix Orbital stuff does indeed look neat, although a little
expensive for our application.

=marc