Date:      Mon, 19 Oct 1998 12:52:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   vote:? reversion of BDE change please?

A while ago bruce changed config(8) to not create the prototypes of
the interrupt handlers in the generated file ioconf.h.

I don't understand his reasoning but it causes me quite a bit of grief.
He now has the rather odd idea that all device drivers should have their
interrupt handlers prototyped in isa_device.h. How isa_device.h is
supposed to know about al existing 3rd party drivers is apparenlty left as
an exercise for the reader....

This is 'odd' in my opinion because that means that if i want to
add a device driver I need to edit isa_device.h and add an entry for it.
I think this goes in the oposite direction from being able to add drivers
easily to the system.

Previously I just had to add an approrpriate 'device' entry to my
configuration file, and add a new files.MYCONF which held the additional
files for my driver(s).

I can see no reason that the prototypes for the interrupt handlers cannot
be where they were before in ioconf.h. Certainly then a prototype exists
for every handler mentionned in ioconf.c!

I would like to suggest that despite bruce's objsections (and I'm sure
he will object LOUDLY), that unless he can give a GOODB reason,
or show how new drivers can be compiled in without editing files we revert
that particular change. It's not a particular big reversion in config.

Please, if you know why I should not do this (or can lend weight
as to why I should) let me know! If I don't get a "DON'T DO THAT"
from the core team, or a good reason not to, I will presume that this was
another arbitrary BDE "cleanup" and revert it.

Particularly I'd like to know if it breaks tha alpha port, or
the new device framework?
As it is now it certainly breaks several automatic build processes I know
of (including the /usr/share/examples/drivers scripts)

julian