Date:      Mon, 22 Feb 1999 19:27:31 -0800 (PST)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD early days... (fwd)

On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > With the emergence of FreeBSD, came the connection with Walnut Creak
> > cdrom. They hired Rod Grimes to ride hurd on it full time, and the new
> > group decided that a CVS server was the way to go for tracking the
> > software. Thus focus shifted from ref.tfs.com to Freefall.cdrom.com
> > which later also became freefall.freebsd.org.
> >
> > Rod was (still is) a skydiver and thus the names of some of the machines..
> > freefall, and thud. After Rod left to persue his own businesses, those who
> > followed didn't keep up the skydiving references.
>
> Actually, just a few corrections here.  The connection with Walnut
> Creek CDROM came about through my calling them on the phone from
> Ireland purely because I liked their Aminet CDROM and thought they had
> the best "production values" of any of the 5 or 6 CDROM publishers
> represented on my shelf.

I didn't say HOW the connection to WC was made, just that it ended up with
rod working there :-) I often wondered what the first contact was...

Do you remeember when FreeBSD diverged (and how the people were selected
for what became "core"?
I think I was having a non 386BSD week that week and seem to have missed
it.. I do know that my departure to AUS took me out of the picture for a
while, and was responsible for ref being unavailable. I don't know what
the influence of that was however..

>  Once we had established the basis for some
> sort of relationship, they asked for someone to work with them on a
> more personal basis and Rod, who was just up the west U.S. coast a bit
> and far closer than I in Ireland or Nate in Montana, was hired to come
> down for 3 months (was it 3, Rod?  I can't remember the initial fabled
> number :) and do the CD.  He ended up staying closer to a year and
> creating their entire internal LAN as well as a number of servers and
> god-only-knows what else and, oh yes, just happened to eventually
> produce a CD while he was down there as well. :-)  I think I took
> over the next CD after that and I've been basically doing them ever
> since.
>
> Also, just to really pick nits, "thud" was not one of Rod's machine
> names, that was mine and based on the Dilbert cartoon which we'd stuck
> on freefall.  In this cartoon, Dilbert says "I'm thinking of taking up
> skydiving, Dogbert, what do you think?" Dogbert replies "Thud"
> and Dilbert, now looking rather concerned, says "You mean ``thud,
> ouch!'' or just ``Thud!?''"  As I recall, Rod didn't find the joke
> anywhere nearly as amusing as the rest of us, but ah well - thud is
> gone now, RIP. :-)

yes but it's still a skydiving name right? :-)
There was I think another, but I can't remember what it was..