Date:      Thu, 17 Apr 1997 11:33:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ron Bickers <rbickers@intercenter.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Binaries in Usenet (was: News...)

On Thu, 17 Apr 1997, Michael Dillon wrote:

> A lot of people are afraid that by dropping sex newsgroups specifically,
> they will become legally vulnerable since they are EDITTING the material
> on their news server based on its content. But there's an interesting

Blockbuster doesn't have an X-rated movie section.  Does that mean they're
editing material?  No.  I'm not a lawyer either, but not carrying a.b.p.e
is not "editing" anything, it's simply making it not available at all.
There's nothing illegal about that.

> IMHO the solution is to clean up binaries from USENET and force people to
> use file transfer protocols (FTP, HTTP, DCC, FSP) to transfer files.

I second that.  It's out of control.  Wonder what kind of bandwidth would
be freed up if that were to happen.

---
Ron