Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 23:48:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Klaus Werner Krygier <krygier@kph.uni-mainz.de>
To:        adrian@virginia.edu
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers List <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: DEC 21140-Ax problems resolved?

On Fri, 18 Apr 1997, Adrian T. Filipi-Martin wrote:

> 	I searched the mail archives and find no mention of the problem
> with this chipset after mid-March.  Has the problem with the de0 driver
> been resolved?

I am also very interested in this problem, because we have five new
powerful machines ready to run but they can't be used with FreeBSD
for this reason. And I don't want to switch to Linux which seems to
work very well with the same hardware.

> 	I get the same problems I found in many of the posts.  The link
> light is on for out 10Base-T hub, then it goes off after the kernel probes
> and switches the device into 100Base-T mode.

I am using a DEC EtherWORKS adapter DE520-AA with a DEC 21140-AB chip and
have the same problem. The behaviour is exactly identical as you described.

> 	I have tried using the NetBSD driver as well as the -currrent
> one.  In both cases the kernel won't compile.  In the -current case, I
> think I may have missed a crucial file.  The NetBSD may just be to far
> out of synch.

I have tried to boot NetBSD directly and had the same problems too.

Regards,
Klaus Werner Krygier

| Dr. Klaus Werner Krygier            | Email: krygier@kph.uni-mainz.de |
| Institut für Kernphysik             |                                 |
| Johannes Gutenberg-Universität      | Tel:   +49-6131-39-2960         |
| J.J.Becher-Weg 45                   |        +49-6131-39-5192         |
| D-55099 Mainz                       | Fax:   +49-6131-39-2964         |