Date:      Tue, 24 Jun 1997 01:00:20 -0800 (AKDT)
From:      Steve Howe <un_x@anchorage.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers <hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: BSD io

On Tue, 24 Jun 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> "read in a character mode from the keyboard" doesn't actually _mean_
> anything, so it's impossible to give you a useful answer.  How about
> you explain the situation you're trying to handle, rather than coming
> up with half a solution on your own and having us try to guess at it?

i did - i initially wanted fast char i/o from/to vga,
preferably portable, so it seems as if S-Lang would've
been the "obvious" choice from the start, but none of
you hackers even mentioned it.  so "hackers" advice
wasn't as good as my hunch.

>   S-Lang is a C programmer's library that includes routines for the rapid
>   development of sophisticated, user friendly, multi-platform applications.
>   The S-Lang library includes the following:
>
>         Low level tty input routines for reading single characters at a time.
>         Keymap routines for defining keys and manipulating multiple keymaps.
>         High level screen management routines for manipulating both
>         monochrome and color terminals.  These routines are very
>         efficient.
>         Low level terminal-independent routines for manipulating the display
>         of a terminal.
>         Routines for reading single line input with line editing and recall
>         capabilities.
>         Searching functions: both ordinary searches and regular expression
>         searches.
>         An embedded stack-based language interpreter with a C-like syntax.
>         A malloc debugging package
>
> > > Firstly; why on earth do you want to read back from the screen anyway?

> > because i find it more efficient to scan a screen for data entries
> > / error checking (at the end of user input) than to write code that
> > deals with all field related functions as each field is entered by a
> > cursor.

> Uh.  As this message is rated PG, I'll reserve my judgement on that one.

huh?  i have no idea what you are talking about, i spent years fine
tuning code and algorithms for certain things ....

> Unfortunately, RAM tests aren't worth spit in most cases.

unfortunately, i can't make the us government change it's mind
all by myself or my opinions.

 FingerPrint BA09868C 1B995204 58410FD3 A5E7B2DA
 http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/way/7747