Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 10:13:07 +0300 (AST)
From:      Thamer Al-Herbish <shadows@whitefang.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Wangtek tape drive: Kernel crashes

Before sending this with send-pr (or whichever bug reporting channels I
should go through). I figured it might be worth a shot asking here first,
incase this problem has been resolved.

I checked the mailing list archives and found no previous occurances of
this, but I did find an individual on usenet who had posted some 6 weeks ago
on a FreeBSD group about this, he never got a reply. I mailed him, and he
still has the problem.

This is all on a FreeBSD 2.2.1-RELEASE

I have a Wangtek 5150PK Tape drive, it seems to be detected fine under the
wt device driver. As soon as I make a read from it, the kernel dumps out
debugging output, and reboots. If I'm in X it completely crashes rebooting
coldly without warning (I guess its because I'm not on my console to read
the output). Initialy I had this on irq 9 (or irq 2 but that isnt
supported), dma 3 I/O port 0x280. I checked to make sure no conflicts exist.
At this setting even writing wouldnt work, although it didnt crash the tape
didnt write at all during my cpio archiving. Reading did though.

I then moved this onto dma 1 and irq 5, this got a bit better I wrote out a
full tape, and suddenly as it asked me for another tape to be inserted it
crashed completely again, another cold reboot.

No mention of this in the RELNOTES.TXT for this release. Actually the only
mention of Wangtek was a thank you to someone who lent the driver developers
the tape drives.

Is this a known bug? If not I'll read up on send-pr and make my bug report.

--
Thamer Al-Herbish  [ For PGP Key finger shadows@kuwait.net ]
shadows@whitefang.com