Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 1998 21:24:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      Cliff Addy <fbsdlist@federation.addy.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Preventing spam relaying

OK, I FINALLY got the relay prevention stuff to reject relaying with :

 #LOCAL_CONFIG
 FR-o /etc/sendmail.cf.relays

 #LOCAL_RULESETS
 Scheck_rcpt
 # anything terminating locally is ok
 R< $+ @ $=w >  $@ OK
 R< $+ @ $=R >  $@ OK

 # anything originating locally is ok
 R$*   $: $(dequote "" $&{client_name} $)
 R$=w  $@ OK
 R$=R  $@ OK
 R$@   $@ OK

 # anything else is bogus
 R$*   $#error $: "550 Relaying Denied"

However, it's too good now.  I need OUR clients to be able to send email
and it's getting blocked.  I didn't realize that Netscape talks directly
to the sendmail port, I just assumed it used the POP server.  Is there any
way I can work around this?  I'm tired of abusive email from people who've
been spammed and seeing hundreds of messages queued up on our servers, but
have to let our clients send email.  Can NS be configured to send email
through the pop server?

Very tiredly yours,

Cliff