Date:      Fri, 23 Jul 1999 13:12:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
To:        Radu-Cristian FOTESCU <rfotescu@idsrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What to tell to Linux-centric people?!

Here's my take....

On Fri, 23 Jul 1999, Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:

> Now, I'm asking myself what to tell to Linux users that are asking me...
>
> 1. Why Linux has bash as default and FreeBSD csh? They want "command
> history" with ARROWS, not with "!".

Installing bash is a "make; make install" away.  Less even if you install
it as a package via sysinstall.  You have the option of installing
additional packages during installation.

> 2. Why Linux has "ls-color" by default and FreeBSD doesn't? [please excuse
> me if I'm wrong, but I haven't seen FreeBSD since 30 months ago, I can't
> install it now, only Linux boxes are available here and for the moment I
> don't own a PC!]

Exact same reason as above.  Like you said, Linux is just a kernel.  It
doesn't "come" with any apps.  The various distributions just include a
precompiled bash for you.

> 3. What is the performance loss when running Linux apps under emulation in
> FreeBSD [assuming no sources are available].

I can't say.

> 4. Why _nobody_ is making a site like "http://www.linuxapps.com/" for the
> *BSD system(s) in order to find easier apps?

Because Linux users, app authors, and site hosters don't realize that
Linux isn't the only Unix system out there.  Not *really*.  Most any
program you can get at those sites compiles cleanly on FreeBSD, and if
they don't, they can with minor modification (Which has probably already
been done by someone and made into a Port.)  And if they still can't, you
run a binary under Linux emulation.

The average Linux user is as un/misinformed about Unix as the average
Windows user is about DOS.  They think XFree86 is a Linux program.  They
think GNOME is a Linux program.  They think SAMBA is a Linux program.
They think xmms (formerlly x11amp) is a Linux program.  Etc...

Don't you realize what having source code means?  Why do you think C was
written to begin with?  Can you say portability?

Sure..someone could start http://www.freebsdapps.com, but what would that
accomplish?  You'd have the same software, and you would only be
furthering the myth that "Linux software" is only for Linux, and "FreeBSD
software" is only for FreeBSD.

> Even images with the BSD daemon are impossible to find in sizes and formats
> that would make them suitable for a wallpaper or something like that...

You're right, I'll switch my servers over to
Linux right away.

-Jeremy

P.s. There's Linux wallpaper?

Jeremy Shaffner                  JORSM Internet, Regional Internet Services
System Administrator             7 Area Codes in Chicagoland and NW Indiana
jer@jorsm.com                    100Mbps+ Connectivity, 56K-DS3, V.90, ISDN
support@jorsm.com                Quality Service, Affordable Prices
http://www.jorsm.com             Serving Gov, Biz, Indivds Since 1995