Date:      Mon, 15 May 2000 04:05:27 +1200 (NZST)
From:      Andrew McNaughton <andrew@scoop.co.nz>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   What's killing my processes?

Something seems to be knocking off various processes on my server with the
equivalent of a 'kill -9'.  This has included processes run from the shell
as root (make, pico) and some cron jobs.  I'm guessing there's more, but
those are the ones I have a little information on.

The only thing I can think of that might do something like this is
resource limits, but that seems unlikely to hit pico in mid use on a small
file, and there's no apparent resource crunch going on.  I think I can
rule this out.  Is there any other reason the kernel itself might issue
KILL signals?

How can I get information on what's going on?  Is there some way I can put
in a trace on any KILL signals issued on the system so I can identify the
culprit process (or kernel)?  I can get a list of killed processes from
the system accounting (lastcomm), but I need the signal type and source.

Any ideas?

Andrew McNaughton

--
Andrew McNaughton