Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 2002 03:39:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        Sunny Dale <s.dale@gmx.net>
Cc:        Mark Filipak <filipak@earthlink.net>, Ken McGlothlen <mcglk@artlogix.com>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Are you sure?

On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Sunny Dale wrote:

> Chris Hill wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 19 Apr 2002, Mark Filipak wrote:

> >>One more thing about my quest for the perfect gateway + firewall + www
> >>server + mail + LAN server: GallantWEB has browser configurability --
> >>that is, you create accounts and even apply patches through the
> >>browser's (http) interface. Does plain-vanilla FBSD have such a
> >>facility?
> >>

> >There is a thing called WebMin which I *think* has this functionality;
> >never used it myself.

> is that really a good idea to install webmin on a firewall?

Maybe not, I don't know. As I said, I've never used it. I only mentioned
it because Mark asked about such a capability, and I knew of webmin's
existence. My guess is that it may not be a problem if the firewall is
configured properly; but it really all depends on how paranoid one is.
Some folks say that the outside-exposed machine should be *only* a
firewall + gateway, and that all other functions should be delegated to
inside machines. To me, this is a matter of ("personal preference" ||
"security philosophy"). YMMV.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <|> ]