Date:      Sat, 20 May 2006 02:06:21 +1000 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: improving transport over lossy links ?

On Fri, 19 May 2006 at 11:06:48 -0400, Mike Tancsa wrote:

 > I am looking for a way to improve the reliability of a lossy link
 > (dialup from remote sites). I am going to try multilink PPP but was
 > wondering if something like ng_one2many might work as well ?  Does
 > anyone have any suggestions for avenues to explore ?  For multilink
 > ppp, does mpd offer any better performance / reliability over the stock ppp ?

No idea whether these options may help, but ..

 > The application is low bandwidth, but doesnt deal that well with
 > packet loss and the phone lines in these remote locations tend to be
 > noisy and drop connections frequently.

If by 'drop connections' you mean physical loss of line / carrier, then
tuning the modem/s to be (preferably much) less aggressive about forcing
the modem connection rate high - ie being easily satisfied to drop back
to lower rates during hard times - has helped a lot with a dozen or so
remote spots hereaboots.  Finding the knobs for some modems can be hard.

Assuming that V.42 error correction is working properly - forced if need
be - there shouldn't =be= any data loss, however slow getting through,
this side of protocol timeouts of course.  I can't guess your mystery
application, but often slower connections are better than dropped ones,
or even ones that spend half their time trying to retrain at high rates.

cheers, Ian