Date:      Sat, 19 Apr 1997 14:29:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jack <jack@diamond.xtalwind.net>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

On Sat, 19 Apr 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > NT is nice.... it has some bullet proof features.... but NOW I can't get
> > at the machine.

Another Mac, a computer with training wheels that you can't take off.

> Yes, however, our problem is that we don't have BOTH and we really
> should.  I mean, imagine it - all the fancy setup and configuration
> tools (and SDKs and style guides and ...) of Win95 and the
> underpinnings of UNIX for those who wanted it underneath.

By `fancy setup and configuration tools' I sure hope you don't mean NT's
install that blew up on us probing an Adaptec 1542.  We tried to let it
do it on its own twice and both times it locked up right there.

To be fair, the screen did warn that SCSI hardware might be too
complicated for it to figure out.

> That would truly be the best of both worlds, and the only thing I've
> seen which actually comes remotely close is OS/2.  It actually has a
> decent network suite (very Berkeley-ish and probably ported from it)
> and one of the best X servers for a non-UNIX platform I've ever used.
> Of course, we all know what's happening to OS/2.. :-)

Yeah, in the retail market IBM couldn't sell $10 bills for $5 each. :(

Jack O'Neill                    Finger jacko@diamond.xtalwind.net or
jack@xtalwind.net               http://www.xtalwind.net/~jacko/pubpgp.html
#include <std_disclaimers.h>    for my PGP key.
 PGP Key fingerprint = F6 C4 E6 D4 2F 15 A7 67   FD 09 E9 3C 5F CC EB CD