Date:      Thu, 24 Apr 1997 15:27:09 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Are Bryne <are@communique.no>
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kern/3375: Ten minute delay at boot-time

Thank you for your patch, Bruce.

I applied it, and rebooted (shutdown -r now).
Using -v at the boot prompt, I was given:

Calibrating clock(s) ... i586 clock: 133662709 Hz, i8254 clock: 1202460 Hz
CLK_USE_I8254_CALIBRATION not specified - using default frequency
CLK_USE_I586_CALIBRATION not specified - using old calibration method

It seemed to speed along just fine, and I did not notice any 10 second
delay (as is now the new timeout).

Then, as I'd forgotten to use -c (to enable the psm0 - why is it that it
is disabled by default?), I did another reboot, this time with -cv.
Now I got (and why is it that this first part - before vis. config -
doesn't get added to /var/log/messages?):

Calibrating clock(s) ... failed, using default i8254 clock of 1193182Hz
CLK_USE_I8254_CALIBRATION not specified - using default frequency

This time it waited for about ten secs. before continuing (entering
config).

Does this mean the RTC isn't quite stable?
Should I add any of the noted CALIBRATION options?

And one last thing:
Sometimes when shuting down, /var/log/messages is appended with a lot of
junk like this ESC[mESC[8;1HESC[mESC[9;1HESC[mESC[m. What's up?

Thank you very much for your attention and help.

Are Bryne