Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 08:17:40 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        Claudio Eichenberger <claudio@nty.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, phk@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xperfmon++ cannot perform realloc

[This should have been directed to questions@freebsd.org.]

On Mon, 16 Jun 1997, Claudio Eichenberger wrote:

> I use FreeBSD 2.2.1
>
> The tool xpermon++ does only run for a few seconds, i.e. it displays on
> the screen but for just a few seconds. Then, apparantly it
> tries to make a realloc which cannot be executed.
>
> alpha# xperfmon++
> Error: Cannot perform realloc
> alpha#

What version of XFree86 are you using?  There is a known
interaction between FreeBSD 2.2 (and later) and XFree86 3.3 that
can generate this error.  However, I vaguely recall getting this
error from xperfmon++ with XFree86 3.2...

..anyway, the message comes from libXt and is caused by incorrect
assumptions about what realloc() returns when given a size of
zero.  phk@freebsd.org can probably explain the details if you
want them.  The problem has been resolved in FreeBSD-current, but
for 2.2.x, you have to re-build your libc with the
src/lib/libc/stdlib/malloc.c from -current.  A slightly easier
stopgap measure is to link affected programs with the gnumalloc
library (in /usr/lib/compat).

-john