Date:      Mon, 21 Jul 1997 02:48:49 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   "make" the "world" a better place -- how?

I've got some questions about running "make world" that I haven't really
found the answers for.

1.  How much disk space do I need to run "make world"?  (I assume that I
    need this space in the same partition as the /usr/src stuff, plus some
    room in the various /tmp directories to hold compiler output,
    correct?)

2.  Is "make world" the only command I need to run?  (i.e. do I have to,
    for example, run "make depend" before doing it, and/or "make install"
    afterwards?)

3.  Will "make world" overwrite my configuration files (I have a lot of
    them, like /etc/sendmail.cf, /etc/amd.map, /etc/rc.local, etc.)?  Need
    I back them up before running it?

4.  Last, if I cannot or do not want to run a full "make world" for
    various reasons (not enough disk space, etc.), can I make a "subset"
    of "make world"?  For example, if I made changes to the C library
    (libc), can I just rebuild and install that piece only?  Or if I make
    changes to the "sendmail" command only?  IF so, what are the commands
    to do this "sub-build"?

Thanks for your help in answering these.

Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 564-1871    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.