Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:47:45 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com>
To:        dkelly@HiWAAY.net
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   re: the great ports/packages debate

Version control for ports/packages would be nice too.  IMHO one of the
best port/package systems out there is the  RPM system from RedHat
(http://www.redhat.com/)  I just installed RedHat Linux on a friend's
machine and have fallen in love with the RPM system.  It handles the
version upgrade (and even downgrade!) problem nicely, it NEVER
overwrites those configuration files you spent hours and hours
tweaking on, and it's also freely available (GPL, I think).  Hey, it's
even in the FreeBSD ports/packages collection!  It would be really nice if
FreeBSD could switch to RPM as the default port/package handler.  I'm no
legal expert, but I think it can be used without any monetary
recompensation necessary...

Oh well, just my 2.0% of $1USD...

Donald Burr <dburr@POBoxes.com> - Ask me for my PGP key | PGP: Your
WWW HomePage: http://DonaldBurr.base.org/  ICQ #1347455 | right to
Address: P.O. Box 91212, Santa Barbara, CA 93190-1212   | 'Net privacy.
Phone: (805) 957-9666    FAX: (800) 492-5954            | USE IT.